Change CFO: Large IT services-based business
This role focused on providing commercial and strategic advice and guidance to the Chief Executive for the development and implementation of a new strategic project framework to support a significant new approach to project management. The role had overall responsibility for the Finance function including Board engagement, assessment and the subsequent uplifting of team capabilities.
- Led the Executive and project management community through a period of change and implemented commercial project management disciplines, including project forecasting and strategic funding pool management.
- Developed a forecasting and budget tool to more accurately forecast recoverable revenue from project development to support the budget and ongoing financial management.
- Led the Finance function to a more commercial corporate model through leadership and changing capability.
- Recruited a high-performance team and created a partnership of trust between Finance and the wider organisation.
Growth CFO: Privately-owned FMCG
This privately-owned entrepreneurial business, which manufactures and distributes FMCG products in New Zealand for the local and overseas markets, required a short-term CFO to manage rapid growth.
The company had experienced a doubling of turnover and needed to address growing pains while also positioning the business for further growth.
- Arranged additional funding from multiple sources to support the growth as well as the significant investment of new production equipment.
- Raised the standard of management reporting to fully understand the performance of the business.
- Closely managed cashflow to ensure the future of the company.
- Project managed the installation of the new automated production line.
- Developed comprehensive forecasting models for both profitability and cashflow.
- Improved the governance with the introduction of a professional Board with clear strategic goals.
Replacement / Growth CFO: FMCG consumer organisation
The role assisted the organisation, which had undergone significant revenue growth, to improve its financial management and governance.
- Implemented reporting to provide transparency on business performance and customer profitability.
- Partnered with the Sales team to implement targeted price increases for under-performing products.
- Thoroughly reviewed the balance sheet and implemented processes and controls to maintain standards moving forward.
- Collaborated with the management team to drive continuous improvement initiatives, financial ownership and accountability.
- Implemented a FX hedging process to better manage FX risk.
Change CFO: Large complex public sector organisation
This role assisted the large Finance team with improving the delivery of key outputs, services and projects after a period of significant organisational change.
- Refocused the finance team on customer delivery.
- Redeployed internal resources to focus on areas of challenge and risk.
- Significantly improved the delivery of key team outputs including Board level reporting.
- Overhauled key internal reporting to refine reporting focus.
- Expedited a number of critical projects through to Board approval.
- Developed enhanced financing frameworks to deal with funding constraints.